Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sending an assignment

Topic: King uses many images and figures of speech as he relates his story. Find a few lines that you think are particularly well written. Analyze what techniques he uses ( for example exaggeration, metaphor, word play) and explain how you respond.

- That year my brother David Jumped ahead to the fourth grade and I was pulled out of school entirely.

In this paragraph, the author uses metaphorical expressions: Jumped ahead to the fourth grade does not means he ran and jumped, but it simply means that his brother moved from the third level to the fourth level.
I was pull out of school: this is another metaphorical expression. King does not mean that he was removed or dismiss from school, but it means that he dropped the school because of his sickness.
- Most of that year I spent either in bed or house-bound. I read my way through approximately six tons of comic books, progressed to Tom swift and Dave Dawson.
Here the author, King is exaggerating: Reading approximately six tons of comics books in one year is not possible; the author wants to say that he read a lot of book that year.

2 comments:

  1. You have to write on this blog every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why haven't you posted a single day since I last commented. You need to take this seriously. It will affect your grade.

    ReplyDelete